Sephora is a heavenly and magical place, but some of that stuff is just a waste of money. If you’ve got it to blow, then power to ya. But if you’re cheap like me, I gotchu.
- Don’t buy blush – all you gotta do it get a $1 tube of light pink lipstick from Target or CVS or wherever and dab it on your cheekbones. It looks even better than blush because it gives you that dewy look.
- Get your liquid eyeliner brushes at Hobby Lobby (or other craft store and maybe even Walmart, I’ve never checked there). I paid like $18 for a brush at Sephora and found a little “paint” brush just like it at HL for like $4.
- Best mascara: Loreal Voluminous with the curved brush (the one in the black and gold tube). It’s cheapest at Walmart, but you can get it at any drug store. I’ve tried all the expensive ones and nothing works as good as this one. But get the one with the curved brush to make you eyelashes look really think and long. I got the color Black Noir.
- Mix cinnamon oil with coconut oil to make your own lip plumper. It works even better than the store bought stuff – although I do like the Buxom lip plumper but mainly because of the color. Whatever you do though, don’t apply straight cinnamon oil to your lips unless you wanna look and feel like you’ve been smoochin on some fire.
- Go to TJ Maxx! They have all kind of organic bath and body and hair stuff. That’s where I get my Big Sexy hair products – and they’re like $10 cheaper than anywhere else you’d buy them.
- Wash your face with fractionated coconut oil (for a face “scrub” add a little apple cider vinegar and baking soda. It may sound weird washing your face with oil, but it cleanses all the crap out of your pores and doesn’t dry out your skin. You can use it as a moisturizer, too. I mix mine with a little bit of raw Shea butter or lanolin oil.
- Don’t buy vitamins that you can make yourself. I take turmeric supplements, but instead of buying a bottle for $15 at the health food store, I buy empty vitamin capsules on Amazon and a giant bag of organic turmeric and fill them myself. Wayyyy cheaper. I do that with ginger powder too.
- Stop washing your hair so much. I’m known for my dirty hair and I ain’t even mad about it. The less you wash it, the longer you can go before it gets oily. I only wash my hair like once a week. Dry shampoo and hairspray are your friends.
- Coconut oil is good for everything from cooking to moisturizer. Save your money on eye cream and all that stuff. Wrinkles are not wiped away with a cream and it’s just a waste of money. If you want clear, youthful looking skin, eat a diet high in leafy greens and veggies and cut back (or cut out) gluten, dairy, and sugar and rub coconut oil on your face every night. (Do not use Vaseline!! I don’t know who started that beauty tip but they’re dumb, don’t do that.)
- Corn starch is the shiz. Don’t buy “eye primer” or whatever it’s called (the stuff that’s supposed to keep your eye makeup from smearing). All you gotta do it dab a little corn starch under your eyes and eyelids. You can also use it as dry shampoo; it’s the base ingredient for all powder dry shampoos and works just the same.
For me though, some beauty products and worth the money. My Galvanic Spa was like $300, but it’s awesome. It’s a weird little gadget and I have no idea how it works, but it makes all my wrinkles disappear. Also, for face makeup and body bronzer and stuff, it doesn’t get better than Tarte.